Sunday, October 26, 2008

Back to.. reality?

We spend two days at the orphanage, which was to be found 1.5 hours outside Kampala, in Masaka Road, south east in Uganda. I cannot find words to describe what it was like yet. Richard, the director needed to get the files which contained information of each child (about 500) organized, so that was my job while being there. I hope it will be of help in the future. The surroundings were beautiful, and you could actually see the Lake Victoria from there. The children who are living there have been taken from the streets of Kampala, but they may be from up north or even Rwanda before they ended up in Kampala. The reason for ending up on the streets are various, but the most common reasons are that the parents are dead or not capable of taking care of their children. This includes child abuse. I heard a couple of stories,where the childs mother died, the father found himself a new wife,who was not fond of the child and thereby beat her up and kicked her out of the house. Another girl had actually killed her own mother,
We were taken to meet some of the youngest children at the orphanage, and they started singing and dancing with us,that was really great!
It was a very emotional experience, but at the same time, it is good to see that someone are working to help these children. The director is worried that if noone acts now to get the children from the streets, Kampala may within ten years become somewhat like Nairobi, with huge criminal problems among streetchildren that have become older and developed high scale criminal gangs.

We spend one last evening in Kampala, and of course we had to visit Bubbles one last time as well! There was supposed to be a live music evening, as it also was, but it was good when it ended, because it was not very.. nice to listen to. However, it was a very nice evening and we met up with people we just met as well as people we had met before.
We went to have dinner at Mamba Point, Italian restaurant, and once again, too bad we didnt visit it before. The food was soooooo good! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! And they knew the true meaning of the service consept!
It was a long night, which resulted in Mia not getting up as early as planned the next morning. Ellen and I went to do some last minute shopping, and I got myself an extra suitcase, since I had to much stuff to be brought home. The rest of the day was spent on packing everything, and then Kaja came with us to the airport when the time had come to head back.
The flight was good, I ate, slept, ate and went off the plane in Brussels. Nice city! It was freezing cold (at least for two Mzungus without winterclothes and used to nice warm weather!) so I had to buy myself a scarf and some gloves.
And of corse I had to do a bit of shopping as well:)
We met up with two of Ellens friends whome used to be her colleagues in India.
Then we went back to the airport and flew home.
Espen met me at the airport, and we went directly to Kongsberg.
The first meal I had in Norway for three months was.. a cheeseburger, but damn it was good!!! Farris Bris, and salty liqorice. Mmmm.
Some of the things I am noticing that I no longer have to worry about is that there is no sand in the food I am eating, there is no mosqitoes that I have to worry about, nor any other sticking animals. There IS a toilet, and it is clean and not about to fall apart anytime soon. And there is HOT water...
Norway is cold. It is strange to be back, and I have to admit that I think I miss Africa already. However, I still have not met any of my familiy or friends, so I am really looking forward to that!
And to get started with the master thesis and to get myself organized as I am right now actually homeless!

FOR NOW, THANK YOU AFRICA!

No comments: