Monday, October 6, 2008

Zanzibar

Ive been at Zanzibar for one week now, and I really dont want to leave this place, it's soo nice!! Its just like paradise. Ellen and I have stayed up north in the village of Nungwi, and just relaxing at the beach and went snorkeling a couple of times. (Ellen has got her divers lisence too!!).
When I said I wanted to go on a boat trip, I had a calm evening with sunbading and reading at the deck of the boat in mind. What I got was a wooden boat, BIG waves (afterall it is the Indian ocean), and lots of water overboard making me soaking wet and frightened, as there were two lifejackets to be divided on a total number of 12 people. It got better when we arrived Mnemba Island that was the destination for snorkeling. I was snorkeling around on a protected reef, and swimming with loads of different fish, including nemo fish:) That was much fun!
Met a lot of people, mostly Europeans and locals (obviously a lot of Norwegian people around as the locals new some norwegian as well). There where some other girls from the course in Uganda there as well, so we had a really good time! Yesterday Ellen, Helene and I arrived Stone Town again. Helene went to Dar es Salam, whereas Ellen and I have been on a spice tour today. That was a wet, but fun experience. It was raining very heavily in Nungwi yesterday, and it seems like the rain reached Stone Town today. We saw loads of different spices and how they actually grow, and loads of fruit, I even had cocoa today!! It was yumy! We also entered a cave, where they untill 1890 hided slaves which they smuggled trough a tunnel to the sea and shipped to the Middle East.
The plan for the evening is to plan our trip ahead, as we have changed the original plan. We are thinking about going from Dar (Tanzania) to Lusaka, the capital of Zambia, from there to Botswana and then finally Cape town. Then from there to Johannesburg and then back to Dar for a couple of days more at Zanzibar, then to Lamu at the north coast of Kenya, then Nairobi and finally Kampala, Uganda before we head back sometime in November. I hope we will find a nice and price wise friendly route.
I am doing very well, my health is good, and no bad experiences so far about anything.. well a couple, but nothing really bad anyway.
I have a lot of nice photoes, but it is difficult to find a public computer where I can actually upload them, so you will have to wait in exitement;)
Comments are appreciated!!
Ciao for now!

No comments: